A three-day-long "literary and scientific convention" held in City Hall in 1830 and attended by over 100 delegates debated the terms of a plan for a new university.
The university logo, the upheld torch, is derived from the Statue of Liberty, signifying NYU's service to New York City.
The University Heights campus was far more spacious than its predecessor was.
As a result, most of the university's operations along with the undergraduate College of Arts and Science and School of Engineering were housed there.
In 1935, NYU opened the "Nassau College-Hofstra Memorial of New York University at Hempstead, Long Island".
This extension would later become a fully independent Hofstra University.